Friday, March 4, 2011

Assistive Technology

   Hello everyone. Today's assignment post is about Assistive Technology. I explored 4 different language translating websites. The first website was google's translation technology. I was able to translate a websites information into any language I wanted. I did this by clicking on language tools right next to the I'm feeling lucky button. I then scrolled down the page and typed in the schools website so that I can translate it into spanich. It translated a few words.

   The second translation website was  http://translation.paralink.com/ . It was easy  to use and it translated half my information I  entered. You also can listen to what you typed in the language you picked. It was kind of fun listening to it and trying to say it. The third translation website was http://babelfish.altavista.com/. I really didn't care to much for this one. It never works out for me. It didn't translate the words right. The last one was http://www.worldlingo.com/. l liked this site. It has free text,document,wesite and email translation.

   Also for my assignment I explored assistive technology products. I looked at microsoft's website. It has helpful links for people with vision, hearing,dexterity and mobility, language and communication, or learning needs. I explored the app for windows 7. It was very helpful with making the things on the screen bigger or smaller. I could put a keyboard on the screen rather than type words out by hand. You can also use a app for  the vision impaired.

   I explored the technology that supports diverse learning. I liked the visual examples. The one I liked was the Do-It-Yourself Video link. Its a desktop video production that allows students to mix video, text, sound, music, still images and dialogue into compelling stories, documentaries and research projects for sharing. It will help  a student’s  to think, learn, understand and communicate.
 


   The last topic I explored was for photosensitive epilepsy. Seizures in photosensitive people may be triggered by exposure to television screens ,  computer monitors, to certain video games or TV broadcasts containing rapid flashes or moving patterns of different colors, and to intense strobe lights like visual fire alarms. You can help children with this disability by using computer monitors with  a flicker-free monitor (LCD display or flat screen),use a monitor glare guard, wear non-glare glasses to reduce glare from the screen, and take frequent breaks from tasks involving the computer. When watching a educational video on a television, watch it in a  in a well-lit room to reduce the contrast between light from the set and light in the room, reduce the brightness of the screen ,make sure the student is  as far back from the screen as possible, use the remote control to change channels on the tv, and avoid watching for long periods of time.

 My over all experience with this assistive technology was great. I learn things i didn't know that will help me with my ESL when i become a teacher. I hope you enjoyed my post today. I did.



 















No comments:

Post a Comment